Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Bad past health habits?

Much of the talk about health care reform centers around preventive visits to detect significant health problems earlier. Most health insurance policies have some preventive care coverage. I'm not a doctor, but I have learned that I can get my lab tests done inexpensively at the lab my insurance uses and these tests are substantially discounted. Most lab results come with comments on how the results compare with "norms". For example my cholesterol was 224. Well within normal requirements, and the breakdown of HDL to LDL was also revealed. However my triglycerides were at 200 vs 150 for "normal". A quick check on the Internet revealed that 200 was quite OK for my age, but to lower triglycerides, I should exercise more, adjust diet to reduce fat and cholesterol and lose a few pounds. Total cost - less than $35. So what about youthful discretion's? What impact would these have - read on.

No comments:

Post a Comment